Surrender don't come natural to me

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Try to catch you up

Sorry about the lack of blogs. I've had some technical difficulty, and so I've moved here to Blogger. We'll see how this works.

A lot has happened since I last posted. I will summarize the last 2 months with the following list, and if you want some more details I urge you to check out Jon, Ross, David, Hannah and Ali's blogs which should cover most of these stories in more detail:

1. Keith and Ryan (from Denver Area YFC and West High School) came for a week visit. We did a lot, including 4-wheeling, Bible studies, helped a young man that had been stabbed several times in the face, basketball, a BBQ at our house with nearly 100 people and ...

2. Machupichu. It will not disappoint you. It is amazing, and I got to go twice in 3 days because...

3. Pierre, Jaime, Tim and Katy came to visit. We met up in Cuszo (which is actually officially spelled Qozqo!!), did the "most important archiological discovery" thing, and then bused it back to La Paz. I really enjoyed having the Clem's and Sarnow's here. We did a lot of my normal things, but we also scouted a new backpacking route: Yunga Cruz. It is an unbelievable trail. I'm sure they've never played as much basketball as we did in their 2 week visit, and I said goodbye and headed to...

4. Cochabamba for Project Serve. Twenty-two gringos for 2 weeks here to serve. The group included several from Harvard, my 9th grade Spanish teacher, Steve with a mullet (you have to respect a guy with a mullet!), and all around a great team. We painted 2 churches (including a great mural of Noah's Ark... it was professional), performed some dramas and started the foundation for a third church. Good times, but it was still good to come back to...

5. La Paz. It was so good to be home after 3 months of absolute madeness. I had a little more breathing room, so I decided to take up a new occupation: shoe shinning. I tell more about that later. But first, I just got back from...

6. Yunga Cruz. David, Ross and I took 9 shoe shiners on one of the greatest Bolivian trails. The first day and a half are above tree line and the ancient Inka trail blows my civil engineering mind. The second half of the trip drops into jungle. As in a machette would have been useful jungle. David celebrated his 20th birthday on the trip, and we had some great campfire talks, naps and Mom's chile. I got home just in time to...

7. Get beat. My basketball team has been in an uphill battle and I'm about to loose my sanity. We are currently 1 and 5. It is very frustrating because unlike working with teenagers, the guys are very set in their ways and I can't believe how they treat each other. I play for enjoyment and a little physical activity, and I'm starting to think it isn't worth it. So today I took a Sabbath and went to the U.S. embassy to renew my...

8. Passport. I applied for a new passport, which means the next 10 years I will have a passport with really long hair. The great irony is that I'm probably going to return to short hair. It really bothers me how much shampoo I consume.

OK, that will have to do for now. I will be sure to write more about shoe shinning soon and very soon.

3 Comments:

  • At July 21, 2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Missy said…

    First of all...you are not supposed to eat shampoo...

    Secondly...i am glad that you are now a blogger...it makes commenting and going to your blog much easier...

    Thirdly...you need to read the comments from Josh on my last entry...he has a whole list of things for you both to talk about when you finally meet (which will hopefully be in October)

    Fourthly...I got the postcard you sent with the random picture of a tourist on it. If I were making postcards with random pictures of people on it, I would definitely put a picture of you, especially if you had a dirty mustache.

    Finally...you are my most favorite brother of all time!

     
  • At July 24, 2006 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you want I could send you some shampoo - but it would taste like garlic, I'm afraid! That was a great blog, but wore me out reading it. Which wouldn't take much these days. Glad you enjoyed 'my' chili tho :). And if only to top Missy's statement: you are my most favorite son ever!!
    Miss you, xoxo

     
  • At August 03, 2006 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey bro! I found your new site--this one is WAY easier for my computer to handle!
    So now I can get caught up with all your stuff--hey who was your Spanish teacher that came down? Just curious...sounds like you are doing well with your "shining" -- in MANY ways. We ARE SO PROUD! xoxo Buffalo and M (wish I had a cool nickname)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home