Surrender don't come natural to me

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Bed Bugs

When I came back to the U.S. I flew into Minnesota because I wanted to see Grandma. She's 99.

Grandma is an amazing woman, and not just because she's lived to be 99. I mean, she raised my mom (and 3 other children), put up with Grandpa, survived the Depression, was born before airplanes, TV's, the world wide web, and hundreds of other things. I am fascinated to think back on her life and the things she's seen and done. A master Pinnocle player and bullhead fisherwoman are things I remember best from growing up. And from my most recent visit I remember chocolate chip cookies and bed bugs.

Grandma lives in a nursing home. It is very nice, but I can't help but reflect when I enter such a situation. Grandma is a trooper and a very sweet old woman. She is pleasant to visit with and I like how my Mom put it: she's very gracious. But that is not the case with all the other people in the home. I really don't want to go into detail, but let's just say it does not seem like a fairy book ending.

And so, it makes me think.

First I become sad. I would think that such a reaction is common. But as it makes me think about life, eventually I actually become thankful. Can you believe that? You see, it helps me understand my faith. It helps me understand Jesus and what He did. For I don't believe this is the end of the story. It gives me hope when I realize that the end is not a nursing home (although we are deceived into thinking that way). Rather, the nursing home is the beginning of what could be much much better, or much much worse. Hope or despair.

That is why Jesus' Message is so important. He talks about a life that makes these years on earth... even 99 and more... look like a vapor or a short breath. He talks about the life after this one that goes without end. An infinite amount of time. A long time. Forever.

And he loves us so much that he makes a rich eternal life available to us (when all I deserve is... well, let's not talk about that). Hope. Things will get better than they are. Just another reason why I follow Jesus.

And that is why visiting Grandma has made me thankful.

Two other quick stories. Grandma doesn't eat much, but we've discovered that she loves chocolate chip cookies. And so that is what she gets. A coffee to dip in and a bag of cookies... as many as she wants. Sounds pretty good.

And when I was leaving I said goodbye and then good night. Grandma says to me,

"Good night." Then a pause.

"Sleep tight." Another pause.

"Don't let the bed bugs bite."

That's 99 years of wisdom speaking, and so I'm working hard to sleep tight (not so sure what that means) and keeping the bed bugs from biting.

3 Comments:

  • At October 27, 2006 3:11 AM, Blogger Ine Nabu Bois said…

    Hi Randy,
    Very impressed with all your posts and missionary's life!
    Keep up the mission you have in Bolivia with HIS mighty power and strength!
    Prayers for you from Indonesia,
    Ine

     
  • At October 30, 2006 10:34 PM, Blogger FFG said…

    Not sure what sleep tight means either, but maybe it refers to the snugness of the blankets around one's body, in which case it doesn't apply to me because using blankets in SC is just plain lunacy...and the only way to keep the bed buds from biting is by fumigating every two months.

     
  • At November 12, 2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Missy said…

    Don't take my cookies...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home