Surrender don't come natural to me

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Random quotes from Denny

The following are random quotes from a phone conversation that I wish I had recorded. It was between Dad, Missy and I, and Missy and I laughed so hard we probably ought to have been kicked out of the coffee shop we were in.

Every now and then, Dad gets chatty. It is rare, you usually don't see it coming, but it is always a treat. This particular conversation pivoted about a marriage retreat Dad and Mom went on this weekend. The quotes standing on their own might not make sense or sound funny to you, but they were to Missy and I, and I want to record them here to remember later:

"They had homework and activities... I don't do homework, so I focused my efforts on the activity."

"The point of the activity was to make a frog."

"... and you say things to your wife to make her feel bubbly."

"I told them, 'Elaine and I have been married for 174 years.' Everyone thought that was funny, because who says that?"

"It was a competition, and we had extra beads, so I told everyone we had to make something with those beads. So I made a penis. The younger couples thought that was a little awkward."

"We had the eight items pretty much under control... in fact I added a couple things to the list."

There was much more material, and of course timing and delivery make all the difference. It was a great moment. We love our Dad. We love our Mom too. They have been married for 39 years as of September, and I must say that is some thing I applaud.

Clap clap clap.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home